Life Is Short

Life Is Short

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What I've Learned From Owning My Own Business...

1. Getting started is HARD!  It takes a lot of time, energy, persistence and motivation.  You have to talk about your business and the products until you're blue in the face and spend hours on the phone and computer and in the public trying to get the word out.

2. Just because you're "working from home" does NOT mean you're not working!  Though my home business is my second job, it takes up A LOT of my time.  Because I do have a full-time job and I'm in school full-time, pretty much all my spare time is spent on my business.  Budgeting time is essential to ensure time for work, school and play. 

3. There are a million home businesses out there!  I really had no idea until I began to dive further and further into my own business.  Through my efforts of trying to promote my business and network with others I have learned not only how many businesses there are out there, but also how many businesses are out there that are just like mine!  Business owners must find a way to distinguish their businesses from others.  They must determine what makes their business differ from all others and use that to successfully promote their business.

4. Find the business that works for you.  I've tried a number of different businesses - Avon (3 times!), Premier Designs Jewelry and now Arbonne.  So, why Arbonne?  Well, I've found that there are certain things you want to look for in a home business.  With regard to Arbonne, the following were important to me -
  • Network marketing - this is a growing area of business that relies heavily on its consultants to promote and sell its products.  
  • Consumable product - once the product runs out customers need to purchase more to replace it.  Arbonne products, due to their health and wellness benefits, are meant to replace cheaper imitations that rely on chemicals, parabens, etc. to achieve their results.  Many of the products you find on the local grocery store shelves contain cancer-causing ingredients that do more harm than good.
  • Growth - Arbonne is expanding rapidly and has been compared to Google in its infancy with how quickly it is growing.  In the past year, the Arbonne company DOUBLED and is becoming a GLOBAL company.  Not only does that say a lot about the Arbonne company but it also means that it's a GREAT time to start working for them!  
  • Product Safety Standards - Arbonne products are developed based on strict Swiss standards in terms of its ingredients and its benefits to the user.  Swiss standards are much more stringent than that of the United States and therefore ensure the safety of the products for consumers.

5. KNOW your product - if you are going to sell something you need to know all about it!  You wouldn't believe the questions that you get!  What are the ingredients?  How fast do you see results?  Is this pure 14 karat gold or does it have a base metal?  I'm allergic to such and such, will I react to the ingredients in this or the metal on that?  What makes your product better than so and so's product?

6. Be PASSIONATE about your product - I sell Arbonne because I BELIEVE in Arbonne.  I believe in the product, I've researched the product and I USE the product!  You must, must, MUST use, drink, wear, etc. your product!  That was my biggest problem with selling Premier Designs Jewelry - I am a nurse.  I can't wear chunky statement pieces, big rings and long necklaces to work!  And, let's face it, most of the promoting you are going to do if you work AND own a business is AT WORK!  One of the first things I did when I started selling Arbonne was to BUY ARBONNE.  My face products were substituted for Arbonne face products, my makeup products were substituted for Arbonne makeup, my body wash was replaced with Arbonne body wash, my hand soap, body lotion, shampoo and conditioner, etc.  You get the picture.  If you don't make your life ABOUT your product, you won't convince others that it's worth buying!

This is hardly a complete list at this point, but as I continue to learn about my Arbonne business I will continue to share my thoughts, information and research.

Please note: These are the personal thoughts and experiences of the author that I have picked up since I started my first business circa 2005.  Some of these thoughts and experiences may have been shared by others.  I only wish to share what I have learned with others and not to profit from this information in any way.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment